Holiday Classic Scholarship
(The scholarship application deadline for 2011 has passed, and information on the 2012 scholarship will be available in January, 2012.)
The Holiday Classic Scholarship Fund was created by the State Farm Holiday Classic basketball tournament to award four, $1,000 scholarships each year to student-athletes from participating schools in our tournament.
Established to recognize and award scholarships to eligible high school seniors who participated in this past year’s tournament, a selection committee of current and former educators choose the winners based on their leadership skills and academic performance. Applicants are asked to demonstrate their experiences in student activities and community service, and are required to submit an essay titled “How my high school sports experience helped prepare me for success in higher education.”
The Holiday Classic Scholarship fund is administered through the Illinois Prairie Community Foundation in Bloomington, IL, and scholarships are made directly to the attending college/university of those winning student.
All eligible applicants must:
- have participated in the 2010 State Farm Holiday Classic
- be a graduating senior this spring
- maintain a grade point average of 2.75 or above on a 4.0 scale
- be admitted to and plan to attend a 2- or 4-year college
Applications must be submitted and postmarked by March 31, 2011, and include the following:
- Brief essay (200-500 words) entitled “How my high school sports experience helped prepare me for success in higher education.”
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from those who have worked with you in student activities or community service programs, like a coach, principal, guidance counselor, etc.
- Copy of your accumulative transcripts including the most recent completed semester.
- Proof (note on school letterhead) from basketball coach that you have been or will be awarded a varsity letter in basketball.
Completed applications should be sent to:
Classic Tournament, Inc.
P.O. Box 1887
Bloomington, IL 61702
Previous Holiday Classic Scholarship recipients:
- Taylor Baucom – Camp Point Central (2006)
- Jordan Christensen – Sherrard (2006)
- Cherelle Gay – Bloomington (2006)
- Matt Pelton – Bloomington Central Catholic (2006)
- Patrick Doggett – CPCI (2007)
- Jack Hainline – Stanford Olympia (2007)
- Kimmy White – Olney East Richland (2007)
- Brandi Branka – Kankakee Bishop Mac (2008)
- Andrew Etheridge – Normal Community (2008)
- Kati Hinshaw – Normal West (2008)
- Randall Koehler – Roanoke-Benson (2008)
- Samantha Reich – Park Ridge Maine South (2008)
- Kristen Baldwin – Normal Community (2009)
- Luke Harbers – Normal U-High (2009)
- Cora Jeffers – Williamsville (2009)
- Ross Munsterman – CPCI (2009)
- Kevin Bischoff – Normal Community (2010)
- Rachael Graham – St. Joseph-Ogden (2010)
- Erin McGinnis – Normal West (2010)
- Andrew Sipes – Grayslake Central (2010)
- Nickolena Coop – Downs Tri-Valley (2011)
- Blake Doane – Quincy Notre Dame (2011)
- Kayla Moore – Sterling Newman (2011)
- Ryan Schmidt – Bloomington Central Catholic (2011)