Highlights, notes & tidbits from Day 3 of the 2017 State Farm Holiday Classic:
With her 40-point performance in a semifinal win over St. Joseph-Ogden, Annawan’s Jayde VanHyfte is one point shy of the tournament career scoring record held by her sister Celina. She also posted the second-highest scoring total in girl’s tournament history, trailing only Illinois Wesleyan All-American Olivia Lett’s 41-point performance for Pana in the 2007 tournament.
What’s in a Seed
Annawan is the only top-seed to reach the championship game, facing #2 Danville Schlarman in the Small School Girls bracket. Other matchups and seeds:
- Small School Boys – #6 Aurora Christian vs #14 Bloomington Central Catholic
- Large School Boys – #2 Chicago North Lawndale vs #5 Normal Community
- Large School Girls – #2 Morton vs #5 Normal Community
Speaking of Morton
The three-time defending 3A state championship earned another chance at a State Farm Holiday Classic title. They’ve previously made the championship game in 2006, 2014 and 2016, but came up on the short end each time. Morton and Normal Community played earlier this season, with the Potters earning a 55-49 victory.
With the Bloomington Central Catholic boys playing on the final day, they eclipse the record for most championship game appearances with nine. They previously shared the lead with Quincy Notre Dame.
Bloomington High School’s consolation championship in the Large School Girls bracket is the first trophy the program has earned since joining The Classic in 2001.
Speaking of trophies, Chicago North Lawndale’s boys team makes their first appearance in the championship of the Large School Boys bracket and an opportunity to take home their first Gold Ball awarded to tournament champions. They previously finished fourth in 2012, third in 2015 and 2016, and won the consolation bracket in 2013.
Day 3 Top Scorers
Large School Girls
- 34 Makenzie Bray – Chatham Glenwood vs Bloomington
- 28 Ellie Weltha – Bloomington
- 24 Makenzie Bray – Chatham Glenwood vs Canton
- 21 Aneesah Morrow – Chicago Simeon
- 18 Abby Ratsch – Springfield
- 18 Ozzy Erewele – Springfield
- 18 Summer Stoewer – Normal Community
Small School Boys
- 28 Dylan Leaf – Rock Falls
- 27 Bryce Haake – St. Joseph-Ogden
- 27 Ben Lowis – Piasa Southwestern
- 25 Andrew Morrissey – Winnebago
- 24 Noah Herr – St. Thomas More
- 24 Mason Marquis – Olympia
Small School Girls
- 40 Jayde VanHyfte – Annawan
- 27 Capria Brown – Danville Schlarman
- 27 Aubrey Staton – El Paso-Gridley
- 27 Nakaya Hughes – St. Thomas More
- 24 Keseanna Watson – Peoria Christian
Large School Boys
- 27 Diamond Presniakovas – Plainfield South
- 25 Zachery Carr – South Holland Thornwood
- 23 Caleb Donaldson – Rockton-Hononegah
- 20 Randy Tucker – Rock Island
- 19 Kenny Strawbridge – Rockford Lutheran
- 19 (x2) Amar Augillard – Zion-Benton vs Normal U-High, vs Rockford Lutheran